Monday, July 6, 2015

This Month

I am quickly learning that life trumps writing about life. As a result, blogging is on my mind but constantly pushed to the side.

I feel like I should begin with a public apology to the bird on the beach this weekend.

Dear bird,

Just... I'm sorry. If I knew where you lived, I'd send you the fees for the therapist I'm sure you'll be seeing for the next few years. If it means anything, we block sidewalks to rescue snails and my sister-in-law spent years helping other birds in animal hospitals. In all fairness, you could have flown away. When you wake up in a cold sweat after nightmares of my dog chasing you over the sand and her crazed "CATCH IT" barks, please know, it was done in love. She thinks you're great, and she just wanted to play. I hope you're okay and that your heartbeat has returned to a calm steady rate.

Love, Naomi.

The last month of my life. People have always told me that I should be a teacher, so let's do this outline style, shall we?


Cats in the Grass


Joel loves this grass (so do Benjamin and Abby, even though she has crazy allergies and spends an hour scratching her ears and biting her paws every time she goes on it). Rolls around in it and takes naps in the shade and chases the butterflies in the sun.

I think he's pretty cute.

 photo Snapchat-2703358789938752266_zpsgpiecxpq.jpg


 Friends with Benefits

And by benefits, I of course mean, cousins that drive you to Boomers.



 photo Snapchat-6976505735435533623_zps32msm7fq.jpg


My friend Kate has those cousins, and if you know us, you'll know that I didn't even blink when Kate texted me that morning with, "You're coming to Boomers with us in an hour." We don't clear these things or plan them. Spontaneous adventure, please.


 photo Snapchat--738325654776789601_zpsvgptkzyh.jpg 


Waiting for a Catch

Got nothin'. Except a clump of seaweed, which sat on the pier with us until it was dry and cracked and I read facts about our city and burned in the June Gloom. I'll have you know it was very fun. Especially once we finally admitted our failure and then fed the leftover squid to pelicans. We could write a novel -- How to Spot a Tourist 101. They will flock and gape as you dare to step that close to the birds.


The Sunset

The sunset worthy of a perfect, Olympic 10. I saw the imaginary score cards. I heard the clapping. We sat on a bench and talked about ridiculous social standards and health and the whole time, we kept careening our necks back all cramped up to watch this glorious sky show behind us. The beauty can not be measured by pictures.

 photo received_804221319698337_zpswo386avr.jpeg 

  photo received_804221323031670_zpsrjgsbeid.jpeg

(The above two pictures were taken by wonderful Madi)


Spinning in the Sea

It looks like someone stuck us in a painting, with big waves and crazy winds. I love this girl and the place I live. And how the whole beach was occupied but we found this little empty spot that we had all to ourselves, until a little boy swam by us and laughed at us and shouted "YOU GUYS ARE SCARED?"

 
 photo received_837224566360631_zpsnogcia3o.jpeg

 photo received_837224569693964_zps7ka6tjeq.jpeg

 photo received_837224553027299_zpscrbaxtzm.jpeg


And Rachelle looked like a 50's catalog model.


 photo Snapchat--6500138450926489296_zpsfnfud5js.jpg


Sleepover

We ate a lot of pizza and watched a lot of movies. And did each other's makeup and painted each other's nails and had a feathers-flying-everywhere pillow fight. The last sentence is a lie.

They have quickly become some of my favorite people. Not a lie.

 photo Snapchat-8228575577646358898_zpshharyaw7.jpg


 photo Snapchat-4492937049209775943_zpsr81t7dtp.jpg

Bonfires

We can just conclude that, four weeks into summer, we've had a lot of bonfires and I can't keep track anymore. But they've all been fun and they've all made me really life is so rich and grand and fulfilling and beautiful kinds of happy.




o wrinkled toes, damp beach towels, wet pony tails, getting your feet wet, finding the streams, following the current, diving in, family swims, making waves and coming up for air when you must - See more at: http://kellehampton.com/page/5?s=enjoying%3A+almost+summer#sthash.LKdHfZK7.dpuf

To wrinkled toes, damp beach towels, wet ponytails, getting your feet wet, diving in, marshmallows on fire, making waves, coming up for air when you need to.

We're going on a big road trip next week, and feeling extremely excited about it all.

I thank God every day for this life.

Have a beautiful week!!


No comments:

Post a Comment